師資介紹 ─ TWA 授證講師
Co-founder and Instructor
- Taiwan Wine Academy (TWA), 2008- now
As we approach the end of 2016, the Taiwan Wine Academy celebrates another brilliant cycle of wine education programs, now including curricula from nearly 20 International organizations. Tom and Naseem conceived TWA nearly 10 years ago, the first and still the only dedicated wine-education institute in Taiwan. More than 10,000 wine enthusiasts have attended our courses, covering a wide range of International offerings, particularly since 2012. See more at www.wineacademy.tw
- Vinotalk 2012 – 2014 Wine celebrities continuously pass through Taipei, but until recently they met their importers, perhaps a few VIP collectors, but their message reached only these select few. With the support of HOPTV, Tom and Naseem now interview winemakers and winery owners live online, and after a few days the interviews stream live. See more at http://fashion.hoptv.tw/channel.jsp?cId=14. Interviews also stream on Vimeo and Youtube.
- Comarker, 2008-
Having taught writing since 1996, Tom realized the need for collaboration among people who critique writing, and so he developed this unique internet application that dramatically shortens the time it takes to mark an essay. See more at www.comarker.com
- A+ Academic Writing, Sep 2001-
After moving to Canada in 2001, Tom created A+ to prepare high school for university and to help university students perfect their academic writing skills. He focused primarily on small groups (maximum 6 students), but also tutored advanced writers one-on-one. See more at www.aplusacademic.com
- Native Speaker Translating and Editing, Apr 99-
Together with NASEEM Chen (Yihua Chen), Tom provided translation services to corporate clients, educational institutions and artists, mostly from Taiwan. These contracts include film scripts, annual reports, Internet websites, advertising copy, press releases and more. They once translated a speech later delivered by the President of Taiwan, Chen Shui Bian.
- Evergreen International Corporation (EIC), Feb 97 - May 01
As English Editor, Tom was responsible for all English-language content in Verve Magazine, the inflight magazine of EVA Air (readership approximately 100,000) plus myriad other duties at Evergreen International, where he built boilerplate text to empower hundreds of employees in a dozen different lines of work. For five years he was the only native speaker of English at EIC.
- Taiwan Economic Report, Mar 96 - Mar 97
In Tom’s first job after language school in Taipei, he acted as reporter and English-language editor for this real-time daily business publication syndicated through Reuters, Telerate and Nikkei.
- HRN Consulting Ltd, May - Sept 95
Concept design, website design and project research for a scheme to place all the tools for developing democratic systems in a public forum available to emerging democracies around the world. Harry Neufeld later brought this project to successful realization.
- The Annabel Lapp Group, Feb 92 - Jul 95
Computer system maintenance, staff training, system design, business plan consultation, client relations and routine accounting tasks.
- Atlantic Windships Ltd, 1975 - 1992
(88-92) Captain and owner / manager of a successful Day-Sailing Charter business in the British Virgin Islands with the 25m racing catamaran Formule Tag, which went on to break the around the world record.
- (75-88) Independent yacht buyer's agent and broker, commissioning agent, charter yacht manager, racing skipper, delivery captain, navigator, charter captain, refrigeration mechanic and SCUBA instructor.
- Wine Scholar Guild (WSG) authorized instructor for the South of France Master Program
- Authorized instructor for A+ Wine Programs from Wine Australia
- WSET Advanced L3 Certificate in Wines & Spirits (2013)
- National Taiwan Normal University Mandarin Training Center, Sept 95 - Nov 96,15 months intensive study of Mandarin with the help of a full scholarship from a cooperative program cosponsored by the Canadian and ROC governments and administered by the AUCC (Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada).
- University of Victoria, British Columbia Canada, Sept 92 - Apr 95, Bachelor of Arts (Honors, with Distinction): Major in English Literature with minor in Chinese.
In order of fluency: English, Mandarin, French, Spanish
Before entering University in 1992, Tom had an extensive career as a professional sailor. His predilection for seafaring took him on many adventures to far and fair corners of the world. In the early 90s he returned to Canada and completed an honors BA 'with distinction' at the University of Victoria in just two and a half years. His graduating presentation in the honors program was a computer hypertext model for translating Chinese poetry into English. Through these efforts Tom earned a scholarship to study Mandarin in Taiwan, and so left behind a promising offer from HRN Consulting instead to pursue fluency in Mandarin. After more than a year studying full time at the NTNU language center in Taipei, Tom found work in a Chinese-speaking environment and stayed on for nearly five more years. In accordance with his work at Verve Magazine Tom traveled widely in East Asia and elsewhere, investigating and photographing scenic destinations, interviewing (often in Mandarin) artists and other persons of note, and in particular reporting on many aspects of the EVERGREEN GROUP. After leaving EIC, Tom and his wife NASEEM began life in Canada by driving their 1966 Chevelle Malibu convertible from Victoria to Halifax and back. They spent two months on the road. "It was a great way for NASEEM to learn about Canada," says Tom. After more than 10,000 miles on the road, they settled in Vancouver BC, Tom’s hometown. In Vancouver Tom soon realized the urgent need for effective instruction in writing for advanced students, and he began developing the programs that became A+ Academic Writing, and later Comarker, a collaborative, web-based application for marking essays. In 2012 Tom returned to his beloved Taiwan to help develop International Programs for the Taiwan Wine Academy (TWA). Further to TWA’s mission – to raise awareness of wine in Taiwan – for two years Tom and Naseem hosted a live interview show on HOPTV, where they accumulated over 40 interviews with a broad range of celebrities from the world of wine. Meanwhile TWA’s offerings continued to expand and are still expanding. Tom now works with the growing TWA management team to coordinate nearly 20 distinct and recurring wine programs ranging from beginner to Master level.